If you’re looking for a new summer sandwich or something for your next high tea celebration, this deli-style prosciutto and provolone sandwich is delicious and easy to make. Thin ribbons of pan-seared zucchini paired with prosciutto cotto (paper-thin cooked Italian deli ham) a little arugula and mixed salad greens, a hint of mayo, oven-roasted turkey, and slices of sweet provolone cheese on whole wheat — make a perfect brown-bag special or something tasty for family picnics.
No Need for Takeout — Deli-Style Sandwiches are Easy to Make at Home
This is the kind of sandwich you might find at your favorite deli or on the menu at Panera or a nice sandwich shop around town. But with minimal effort, you can skip the lines and customize your own sandwiches at home. Taking the time to sautée a small amount of tender zucchini makes all the difference in an otherwise humble sandwich.
If you’ve never had thin slices of golden brown pan-seared zucchini on top of a sandwich before, it adds a whole other dimension of delicious (and healthy) flavor and it only takes a few extra minutes to cook it. The thinner and more consistent the thickness is, the faster they cook and the more enjoyable they are to bite into.
Prosciutto, Turkey & Provolone Sandwich w/Sautéed Zucchini Ingredients
The only effort that really goes into making this sandwich is the quick 5-minute pan-sear on the sliced zucchini. Using a mandoline to make the slices will keep them uniform in thickness, but any sharp knife will do.
- 4 slices of your favorite sandwich bread or roll
- 1 small or medium zucchini, washed, cut in half, and thinly sliced (vertically)
- enough prosciutto cotto for 2 sandwiches
- enough oven-roasted turkey for 2 sandwiches
- 2 slices of provolone cheese
- mayo (or another condiment of choice)
- arugula or mixed salad greens or lettuce of choice
- extra virgin olive oil (for pan-searing zucchini)
- serve with pickles and homemade potato chips or french fries
Serve it with a Side of French Fries or Homemade Potato Chips
How to Make Deli-Style Prosciutto, Turkey & Provolone Sandwich w/Sautéed Zucchini
- Sauté the zucchini. Drizzle a little olive oil into a skillet set over medium-hi heat, and just before it begins to smoke, add the zucchini slices in a single layer, add a little salt, and do not move them once they hit the pan. Sear them until golden brown on the first side and flip them over using a pair of tongs. Season with salt and cook for just a couple more minutes, until golden brown. Remove the slices from the skillet and allow them to cool while you build the sandwiches.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Add a little mayo to the bread, add pan-seared zucchini slices overlapping them, and add the prosciutto, oven-roasted turkey, provolone cheese, and mixed salad greens. Top it with the last slice of bread, cut it in half and Enjoy!
Looking for More Deli-Style Sandwiches & Sides, or Turkey Dishes?
If you’re looking for a few ways to round out a nice deli-style lunch or dinner or a few good sandwich ideas, here are a few of our favorites.
- Best Smoky Shake Shack Shroom Burger (smoky, cheesy crispy mushroom burger)
- Toasted Sesame Egg Salad Sandwich (Tamago Sando たまごサン Inspired)
- How to Make Extra “Beefy” Above + Beyond® Burgers
- Garlic-Ginger Shaved Beef Steak Sandwich
- Wild Yellowfin Sesame-Scallion Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Easy Oven-Roasted Turkey w/Shallots & Herbs
- Easy Turkey Tinga Tacos (A Perfect Way to Use Up Leftover Turkey)
- Maggie’s Famous Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- Crispy Shallow-Fried Turkey Breast Cutlets (Cotoletta di Tacchino)
- A Better Homemade Turkey Pot Pie (The Ultimate Pot Pie Recipe)
- Chipotle-Garlic French Fries (Thrice Cooked)
- Easy + Super Crispy Homemade Potato Chips
Let’s get started!Print