This better-than-average grilled cheese sandwich is quick and perfect for easy midweek lunches or dinners. It’s got a little bit of everything for a perfectly balanced melty, crispy, tomatoey, summertime (or anytime) meal. And it’s ready in about 10 minutes which is hard to beat. Made with crispy prosciutto cotto, sun-dried tomatoes, American cheese, and little arugula — just add a side salad or potato chips to round it out.
Prosciutto, Turkey & Provolone Sandwich w/Sautéed Zucchini Ingredients
The only effort that really goes into making this sandwich is first crisping up the prosciutto cotto (cooked Italian shaved ham) for a few minutes in a little bit of olive oil. Feel free to substitute a good quality deli ham for the prosciutto.
- 4 slices of your favorite sandwich bread or roll
- 4 slices of prosciutto cotto, or deli ham (or desired amount for 2 sandwiches)
- 2 slices of American cheese
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced into slivers
- a handful of arugula
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (for crisping up the prosciutto)
- 1 tablespoon butter (to cook the grilled cheese )
Serve it with a Side of Homemade Potato Chips or French Fries
How to Make Deli-Style Crispy Prosciutto and Sun-Dried Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Sauté the zucchini. Drizzle a little olive oil into a skillet set over medium-hi heat, add the prosciutto cotto slices in a single layer and sear until golden brown on the first side, flip them over and cook for just a couple of minutes more, or until crispy. Remove the slices from the skillet and allow them to cool while you build the sandwiches.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Add a slice of cheese to the bread, then a few leaves of arugula, some sliced sun-dried tomatoes, and top it off with the crispy prosciutto and another piece of bread. Add a pat of butter to the same skillet the prosciutto was cooked in and turn the heat up to medium, twirl the pan to coat it with melted butter, and add the sandwiches. Cook the grilled cheese until golden brown on the bottom, flip it over and continue cooking until the cheese has melted and the bottom is golden brown. Remove them from the skillet, slice and serve with your favorite chips or a salad and, Enjoy!
Looking for More Delicious Deli-Style Sandwiches and Pairings?
If you’re looking for a few ways to round out a nice deli-style lunch or dinner or a few good sandwich ideas, here are a few of our favorites.
- Best Smoky Shake Shack Shroom Burger (smoky, cheesy crispy mushroom burger)
- Toasted Sesame Egg Salad Sandwich (Tamago Sando たまごサン Inspired)
- How to Make Extra “Beefy” Above + Beyond® Burgers
- Garlic-Ginger Shaved Beef Steak Sandwich
- Wild Yellowfin Sesame-Scallion Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Summer Starburst Vinaigrette (a favorite salad dressing)
- Deli-Style Prosciutto, Turkey & Provolone Sandwich w/Sautéed Zucchini Ribbons
- Easy and Delicious Cheeseburger Quesadillas (+Bacon Cheeseburger & Vegetarian options)
Let’s get started!