We’re partial to super soft and chewy in the middle with golden crispy-edges chocolate chip cookies. For this recipe, I’ve added lots of complementary ingredients for added snack food taste and texture — Twix candy bars, peanut M&M’s, a hint of espresso, kettle potato chips, and a chopped Lindt 70% dark chocolate bar. This chocolate chip cookie recipe is quick and easy and also happens to be perfect for making ice cream cookie sandwiches. For anyone new to cookie-making (or for kiddos helping out), I’ve included step-by-step recipe photos at the end of the post.
What’s a Dump Truck Royale Cookie?
A dump truck royale is my take on the kitchen sink cookie, compost cookie, cookie royale, etc. Basically, it’s our soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie dough filled with as many delicious snack food extras as we could fit. In this case, we used kettle-style potato chips, dark chocolate bar chunks, peanut M&M’s, espresso, Twix candy bars, and we even rolled a few cookie dough balls in non-pareil sprinkles for a little birthday fun for our friends. Feel free to add equal amounts of your preferred favorite candy and snack foods to this cookie dough base.
Chocolate chip cookie base (2 types of sugar used).
- White granulated sugar (which is neutral in taste), allows the other ingredient’s flavors to shine through while sweetening the cookies and adds texture.
- Light brown sugar (which is naturally acidic) not only provides rich notes of molasses flavor, but also helps create a chemical reaction when it interacts with baking soda by producing carbon dioxide while the cookies bake (which helps to leaven the cookies). It also adds to the texture.
Chopped chocolate bar chunks instead of regular chocolate chips. Using chunks instead of chips allows the chocolate to spread while baking giving you those delicious “pools” of chocolate in your cookie that you won’t find when using smaller chips. This chocolate bar was also an Oreo-specific milk chocolate bar.
Baking soda. I use baking soda instead of baking powder as the leavening agent for these cookies. It reacts with the acid from the light brown sugar to produce carbon dioxide, giving a nice rise to the cookies.
Cornstarch. Using a small amount of cornstarch allows these cookies to not spread quite as much and helps to maintain soft chewy centers with a crispy edge.
Espresso. A hint of espresso enhances the overall flavor of the chocolate, add a little more for a deeper coffee flavor if desired.
Chilling the cookie dough before baking. Chilling cookie dough for at least an hour before baking helps keep cookies from spreading out too much and allows time for the flour to properly hydrate.
Dump Truck Royale Cookies Ingredients
All you need to make this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe is a bar of good dark Chocolate, a handful of potato chips, some M&M’s (any variety will work), some espresso or coffee, and Twix candy bars. Feel free to play around with adding your favorite candy if you’re allergic to peanuts. The addition of cornstarch helps give this cookie its soft, chewy center, but if you don’t have it, feel free to leave it out (the cookies will be just a bit crispier).
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (or 00 flour) (315g)*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (6g)
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional for extra softness (3g)
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt (4g)*see recipe card notes if using a different salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso (2g)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks) (227g)
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar (150g)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (150g)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (100g)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (9g)
- 3 1/2 ounces 70% Dark Chocolate candy bar, or 70% dark chocolate) (100g)
- 7 ounces peanut M&M’s (200g)
- 8 Twix bars, roughly chopped (14 cookies) (200g)
- 3 ounces kettle-style or regular potato chips, coarsely crumbled (50g)
*I use 00 flour when I’m in Italy, and King Arthur all-purpose when I’m in the States. And the weight of these different flours varies based on the humidity content of the flour and also the environment you’re living in. No matter where you live, just be sure to use the ‘scoop and level’ method to measure your flour into measuring cups and spoons and the recipe works perfectly every time.
How to Make Dump Truck Royale Cookies — Measure, Mix, Scoop, Chill + Bake.
Homemade chocolate chip cookies get the ultimate snack food upgrade and are incredibly easy to make. The hardest part is not eating the cookie dough while it’s chilling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/176°C + Prepare the baking sheet. Line baking sheets with a nonstick Silpat or parchment paper.
- Cream the butter + sugar. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a handheld mixer) cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Combine wet ingredients with the creamed butter mixture. Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter mixture, and beat just until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. In a medium bowl combine flour, espresso, baking soda, salt, and corn starch, and whisk well to combine. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and use a rubber spatula to gently incorporate the ingredients until no flour streaks remain. Fold in the chopped chocolate chunks, Twix bars, and M&M’s until just combined. Add the potato chips and gently fold into the mixture.
- Scoop + chill the dough. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour (or up overnight). Using a portioning scoop or 1/3 cup measuring cup, portion the dough and place scoops onto a prepared baking pan about 2 1/2 inches apart to allow for spreading. Bake right away for a slightly thinner cookie, or pop them into the freezer for 5 minutes before baking to help them stay just slightly thicker.
- Bake the cookies. Bake smaller cookies for 10 to 12 minutes (and larger cookies for 15 minutes), or just until golden brown. Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool directly on the baking sheet for a minute or two before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
Ways to Customize Dump Truck Royal Cookies
There are all kinds of ways to enhance this chocolate chip cookie dough, here are a few ideas to get you started.
- add 1/2 cup of toasted chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts, macadamia, or even hazelnuts
- add a 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of chopped pretzels to the dough
- roll cookie dough balls in candy sprinkles before baking
- substitute dark chocolate bar for your favorite white chocolate or milk chocolate bar
Chocolate Chip Cookies tips + tricks + FAQ’s
Need help troubleshooting your homemade chocolate chip cookies? We’ve got you covered. Check out our post over here to help you fix any issues you may be having.
Looking for More Delicious Cookies to Make?
We’ve got a few cookie recipes we think you’ll love, everything from the classics to the very special. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Bakery Style Pan-Banging Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best Bakery Style Sugar Cookies (Soft + Chewy)
- Strawberry-Lemon Sugar Cookies (Soft + Chewy)
- Double Oreo Chocolate Chip Confetti Cookies
- Cookies & Cream Double Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies