Boo! If you’re looking for a Halloween Cheesecake dessert that both kiddos and adults will love, this silky smooth white chocolate caramel cheesecake will do the trick. This fall cheesecake recipe is a treat for the whole family. Ample chocolate Oreo cookie crust is filled with a homemade white chocolate-caramel mascarpone and cream cheese filling then topped off with the cutest and easiest Ghostbuster Meringues — it’s the only Halloween dessert you’ll ever need.
Halloween Mischief + Haunted Houses
Halloween is just around the corner and so is my Mom’s birthday. She was known for telling her scary ghost stories, popping on a scary mask around the house to give us kids “a little scare”, and giving rides to the cemetery to show the neighborhood kids the “haunted glowing tombstone”. She loved Halloween.
One year, to help raise money for the CYO kids she sponsored, she turned an old abandoned (super creepy) nursing home/hospital into a Haunted House. But not just any haunted house — one complete with chainsaws, turning heads on tables, hallways lit up in red, with my Granny lying in a coffin (borrowed from the local funeral home) playing dead until unsuspecting kids and adults would walk by. My Mom was a lot of fun — she brought a lot of mischief and laughter to everyone especially this time of year. So, to celebrate her birthday and Halloween here’s a dessert that’s a little bit spooky and full of sweet goodness, just like my Mama♡.
Why We Love This Halloween Cheesecake
- It tastes SO good
- It’s a totally original recipe
- It’s fully of caramelly vanilla bean white chocolate flavor
- A top layer of thin chewy caramel magically appears as it bakes
- It freezes incredibly well and tastes like the day you made it even 6 months later (for real)
- Great Make-ahead-and-freeze option to get ahead of the holiday baking
- Kids and adults love this cheesecake
- It’s super smooth and creamy
- It serves 12 people easily
Ingredients in Spooky Halloween White Chocolate Carmel Cheesecake
Homemade caramel sauce is infused with chopped white chocolate and added to a mascarpone and cream cheese filling. If you want to use only cream cheese and skip the mascarpone, no problem. It’ll be a tiny bit tangier, but just as delicious. Feel free to skip the Ghostbuster Meringues to make this a perfect dessert for any fall and winter dinner parties.
Oreo crust ingredients
- Oreo cookies
Cheesecake base ingredients
- cream cheese
- pure vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
White chocolate caramel ingredients
- heavy cream
- white chocolate
Cheesecake topper decorations
How to Make a Spooky White Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake w/Ghost Meringues
- Preheat oven 350°F/176°C. + prepare the springform cake pan. Butter an 8-inch springform pan and line it with parchment paper on the bottom and sides.
- Make + bake Oreo Cookie crust. Remove the cream from the cookies and add them to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to crush the cookies until they resemble coarse sand. Add the melted butter and combine using a fork or your hands. Add the cookie mixture to the prepared cake pan (or pie plate). Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven to cool. Once the crust has cooled, line the outside securely with heavy-duty aluminum foil in preparation for the water bath. *If you don’t want to remove the cream from the cookies, see recipe notes for an alternative method.
- Prepare the cheesecake base. Using a handheld mixer (or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), cream the sugar and cream cheese (and mascarpone if using) until light and fluffy about 2 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla, and salt and mix just until combined and no traces of egg are left. Set the mixture aside while you make the caramel white chocolate sauce.
- Make the caramel white chocolate sauce. In a large heavy-bottomed 4 to 6-quart pot, add the sugar and water and turn the heat up to high. Do not disturb the pot while the sugar is dissolving. The mixture will begin to cook and form bubbles. After about 8-10 minutes, the mixture will start to form larger bubbles and turn golden brown in spots near the edge of the pot. At this point, swirl the pan once or twice directly over the heat and watch it closely so it doesn’t burn. After 10 to 11 minutes of total cooking time, the caramel should be a deep amber color. Turn off the heat and immediately stir in the heavy cream whisking vigorously to incorporate the mixture. Add white chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir to incorporate. *From start to finish, the caramel sauce takes no more than 12 minutes to make.
- Combine caramel sauce and cheesecake base. Working quickly, add the caramel sauce to the cheesecake base and stir or whisk to combine everything. Add the tablespoon of flour and gently incorporate it into the mixture.
- Bake the cheesecake. Pour the cheesecake batter into the prepared Oreo crust and bake for approximately 1hr to 1hr and 10 minutes, or until the top is set and the middle is cooked through. The edges will slightly puff up and the middle will only slightly bounce or jiggle when the cheesecake is ready. Remove it from the oven to a wire rack and allow the cheesecake to cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours and even better overnight.
- Decorate the top with Ghostbuster Meringues. Place the meringue ghosts on top of the cheesecake to serve and Enjoy!
Spooky White Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake recipe step-by-step photos
How Do You Store Cheesecake?
You can store cheesecake in the refrigerator in an airtight container for just about 4 to 6 days once it’s been baked and completely cooled. Just be sure that you cover it or seal it well to avoid the cheesecake from absorbing any other flavors or smells in the refrigerator. Definitely do not store it near raw onions, or other pungent ingredients. I like to portion and freeze cheesecake because you can’t tell it’s been frozen at all. See below for the best way to freeze cheesecake for short or longterm storage.
Can You Freeze Cheesecake?
Yes, you can freeze cheesecake (see photos below) and you should because it makes it a really convenient dessert to make ahead of time. Be sure it’s at room temperature or completely cold before freezing and use the following guidelines for whole cheesecakes, individual ramekins, or slices. This cheesecake makes a great frozen treat if you can’t wait for it to thaw.
- If you’re freezing a whole cheesecake, leave the cooled cheesecake in the springform pan (or place it on a cardboard round) and wrap it securely with sustainable plastic wrap. Next, wrap it in aluminum foil and pop it into the freezer for up 1 to 2 months or longer. Thaw whole cheesecake in the refrigerator overnight. Depending on your freezer temp and what else you keep in your freezer, cheesecake can last a lot longer than 2 months if stored properly.
- If you’re freezing ramekin or muffin-sized portions, leave the cooled cheesecake in the ramekins (or muffin foils) and wrap them securely with sustainable plastic wrap. Next, place them into a freezer bag, and store them for up to 3 months or longer. I’ve actually had cheesecake in the freezer for as long as 6 months and as long as it’s been stored properly, it will taste just like it was made. Thaw cheesecake in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature until ready to eat.
- If you’re freezing sliced portions, wrap 2-3 slices of cheesecake in parchment paper or wax paper and then with plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag or other airtight freezer container. Thaw slices of cheesecake in the fridge overnight or on the countertop if you want to eat it immediately.
Looking for More Easy Cheesecakes for the Holidays or Any Day?
If you needed proof of how much we love cheesecakes and cookie crusts, look no further than below. Here are a few of our favorite and most requested recipes.
- White Chocolate Creme Brûlée Cheesecake w/Biscoff Cookie Crust
- The Best Key Lime Pie with Biscoff Cookie Crust
- Reese’s Devil’s Food Cheesecake w/Oreo Cookie Crust
- Easy + Delicious Double Biscoff Cheesecake
- Easy Strawberry-Rhubarb Cream Cheese Pie (No-Oven Needed)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Chestnut Graham Cracker Crust
- Easy Classic Cheesecake w/Biscoff Cookie Crust (+Mini’s)
- White Chocolate Salted Caramel Cheesecake w/Oreo CookieCrust
- NYC Black and White “Cookie” Cheesecake (1/2 & 1/2 Cheesecake)
Let’s get started!Print